Friday, August 20, 2010

So sad

I talked with my Mom yesterday and it was decided that Maggie (Magnus) will be put to sleep on Saturday. His quality of life is so little. He eats, sleeps and goes to the bathroom. Maggie's sense of smell is still good but that's about it. I haven't heard him bark in such a long time and his nubbin tail no longer wags when he sees me.
It is such a difficult decision to make. I believe we are kinder to our animals than people. My grandfather spent many years in a nursing home with the same quality of life as Maggie. It would be kinder if we could do the same for our human loved ones.
You love them so much because they become your family. You love them enough to let them go. It still breaks my heart that my best friend of almost 13 years will be not be here with me. We've been through so much together. So much joy and sadness. Just life. He is my best friend and he loved me so much--I loved him dearly too. I like to think that if I was the one in his place and he were in mine he would love me and make the same decision.
He will soon be with my cat Marnie (she was 20 years old when she was put to sleep this past fall) and I know she will welcome him with open arms.
It's just hard to believe that this time has come. It's the end of an era of a my best friend, my buddy.



Logan and Magnus
















Maggie going for a ride with me











Maggie and me

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is so difficult. Maggie was loved.

Miss M said...

Im sure Laddie will be happy to see Magnus-so they can play together too...xoxox

Melis.sa said...

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to let go of our puppies. I still get a ball in the pit of my stomach when I think of Sadie, our german shephard we had to put down when she was 13 :(

Anonymous said...

Hi. New follower here. I just had to tell you how sorry I am. We have four dogs and they are all seniors with the oldest (my baby I've had since he was 6 wks old) turning 12 in October. There are times that I look at him and just cry knowing that that day will come sooner than later. I just cannot even tell you how sorry I am that you've had to make such a difficult decision and will lose such a wonderful companion. My heart truly breaks for you. You and Maggie will be in my prayers. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Oh man I have tears in my eyes. I am here with deepest sympathy in loosing your beloved Maggie.