
No, not a swimmer donor but a bone marrow donor. A little boy named Liam, whose mother is from my area, has a very rare blood disorder. The family set up a bone marrow registry at a nearby hotel. I went this morning and found out that I was already in the registry after having done so many years ago at the Red Cross. I got bracelets for me and E. Walking into the hotel I started to cry. I kept thinking how terrible it is that this little boy is going through something so horrible. The registry started at 10 am. I got there at 9:50 and the parking lot was quite full. I'm glad there was such a tremendous outpouring of support. They were also selling baked goods and there was a Chinese Auction. I pray that they find a donor soon.
You can read more about Liam here: news story.
All they do is swab your cheeks. Have you thought about being a donor? Find out more here.
Find out what the rest of the class is showing at Mel's blog.

13 comments:
Wow. I would definitely try and be a donor. To help save someone's life is something that cannot be turned down.
I was a bone marrow donor when I was in college. Very little discomfort for me and a big payoff for the recipient.
I'd do it again if I matched.
What a wonderful post and reminder to not get ourselves so entrenched in IF that we forget the ways we CAN help others. I pray that the donor drive is a raging success for him and for many others as well!
What a wonderful idea! Truly, I will look into this...great way to help others. Kudos to you!
What a great way to get the word out! It's wonderful how so many people are so giving and ready to help. I sure hope the drive was a success for this brave little guy.
I would love to be on a bone marrow registry. I think I need to do some research and find out where to do that locally.
Thank you for the reminder!
I'd never really considered getting tested.
Now I am.
Thanks for bringing this up, and good wishes for Liam.
Sending Liam a ton load of good wishes...and I think it is very generous of you to be doing this!
That is such a great thing to do. I'm hoping they find a match for Liam!
Thanks for the reminder that a few minutes of out time can save a life.
Hope they find a donor for Liam.
It is so sad, and yet so heart filling that people take their time and effort to help a little boy who is a stranger to them.
I should also put the minimal effort into it, help save a life.
I can't be a blood donor, but I wonder if I could be a marrow donor. I'll look into it. Glad there was such a great turn out. I hope she can find a donor as soon as possible!
I hope he finds a donor soon.
Post a Comment