For reasons I don't understand I did not see my babies after delivery for hours after I had them. I saw them briefly after delivery. I was told that they were taken to the nursery for observation and evaluation. Both did very well with their Apgar exams and were healthy upon delivery.
I first saw Peanut around 2:30 am (he had been born first at 12:37am). I nursed him and then he was taken back to the nursery. I did not see Squeakers until 5:30 am (he was born at 12:50am).
Looking back I wish I would have asked to have them both with me until our room was ready (the hospital was doing a makeover of the entire ob dept). I'm reading information now that says the first hours are so important to breastfeeding and setting up your supply. They told us to supplement because their birth weights were so low. I did. I have such mixed emotions about that. I wanted them to gain weight and I knew that wouldn't happen with bf because my milk hadn't come in yet. (I did pump a few times during my stay and with nursing both of them my milk came in quicker with them than with E). I wanted them to gain weight so they could come home.
I wrote in the last post that M took care of Squeakers because he was taking the bottle more. I wish I had nursed him more. After the babymoon he is doing better. I do hope that by nursing him more he'll get better at it.
It's still early and I'm hoping nursing with Squeakers will get better. I still feel guilty and bad about not being more on the ball with nursing. Hindsight is 20/20.
Making Bets
2 weeks ago

2 comments:
It IS still early. You are working so hard to provide what is best for your babies! Those first few hours... who knows, really? I also struggle with "should have"s regarding my LO's birth; we waited in our room for 3 hours while he was warmed after his bath... wishing I'd asked for the bath to be postponed. I still regret those 3 hours but like you say, hindsight.... and in the grand scheme of things, we spend so many thousands of hours with our babies as they grow into children - I have to believe it's the accumulated effect of all that time that counts, in the end.
Big hugs to you.
You do what you can, and make the best decisions you are able to at the time: don't beat yourself up.
That said I wish I would have done things differently too...from the breast feeding to having DD in the room with us at all times.
*hugs*
Post a Comment