Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rainy day

It is raining here again.  That's ok.  We could use the rain.  I cleaned out the boys' closet and put away clothes.  Their clothes  are usually in my bedroom in a clothes basket.  I put away clothes when they are sleeping.  And I won't go into their room because I don't want to wake them up.  I am getting rid of so much stuff.  E is going to sell all the stuff we don't want at the flea market.  We don't have room to keep stuff we don't use or need anyway.  Plus I feel more relaxed when things are orgazined.
Have you discovered Pinterest?  What a good time!! Tons of ideas for getting organized, meals, diy projects, kids, dogs, clothes, make up, make your own W.index, etc.  I have pinned tons of ideas now I just have to actually do them!
Yesterday's corn bread didn't turn out that great.  It was very dry and didn't have the usual yummy taste.  I'm going to try The Pioneer Woman's corn bread for our leftover gumbo.  I have made some of her recipes in the past and have had good luck with them.

Recipe: Skillet Cornbread

 |   |   | 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 cup Shortening
  • 2 Tablespoons Shortening

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir together.
Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir.
Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until combined.
In a small bowl, melt 1/4 shortening. Slowly add melted shortening to the batter, stirring until just combined. In an iron skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons shortening over medium heat. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Spread to even out the surface. (Batter should sizzle.)
Cook on stovetop for 1 minute, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Edges should be crispy!

1 comment:

Melis.sa said...

ooh I love organizing! I can't wait until I have energy again :) I have so many rubbermaid things full of girl clothes. Once we know what this little one is those things are either back upstairs or gone :)