Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Music

Music is such an important part in our lives. We celebrate with music, mourn with music, and remember important facts with music. Listening to a song can transport us back in time or make us feel happy or sad. Such a powerful force. I like many different kinds of music. I grew up on The Beatl.es, grew up a little bit more to Depeche Mode and The Cure in high school, also The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and U2.
While working on my unit plan for math I hooked up my headphones to the computer and typed in The Cure on youtube. What a good time!! I enjoy Robert and his melancholy voice. One song in particular transports me back to 1992 when Ellen, Sarah, Sabrina, my Dad (he was our chaperone) spent the whole day in Philly on South Street (our favorite store was Zipperhead) and then went to see The Cure: From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea. It was such an amazing experience! I sang and danced my heart out.
My birthday present this year from Chachi was to go see The Cure again in Philly. I was impressed that after so many years they still had it. Robert and the boys still had it! They really enjoyed themselves on the stage and did multiple encores.
What music transports you to another time?


The Cure "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea"

1 comment:

Eskimo_Kisses_4_U said...

well, music IS my life. I'll be here all day if I told you every song that took me to another time.

But the two that takes me back are Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love A Bad Name'...which takes me back to before my mom passed when I was a kid and she would take my cousins and me to a local food joint for lunch every day in the summer. The second one that ALWAYS takes me back is (I know it's cheesy) Barbara Mandrell's 'Crackers'...it was the last song my mom listened to when she was explaining to me that she was going to the hospital (what ended up being the last time she was home and spoke to me before she passed.)

But I do love me some of The Cure!