
As per request here is the yummy dressing recipe:
Cornbread & Apple Dressing
Makes 16 servings
Working time: 25 mins Total time: 2 hrs
1 lb sweet Italian ( or any sweet sausage)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
2 cups chopped celery
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups cornbread, crumbled (I buy it in a bag. I think Pe.pperridge Farms makes it.)
4 cups fresh bread crumbs (from a bag or 10 slices country bread)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (I use dried Sage as I can never find the fresh. A rule of thumb when using dried: use a third of the amount of dried as you would the fresh)
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 cup low sodium chicken broth (use more if you need it)
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the casings and crumble and brown the sausage in a large non stick skillet over medium high heat--about 10 mins. Remove and set aside the sausage and reserve 1 tablespoon of fat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter with the fat, add the peppers, onions, celery, salt and black pepper, cook over medium low heat until vegetables are soft--about 15 mins. Toss in the sausage, cornbread and bread crumbs, apples, parsley, sage and thyme. Transfer to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish (I use two), pour the broth over the dressing and dot with remaining butter. Bake until the dressing is heated through and golden about 1 1/2 hours.
Everyone enjoys this dressing. When we started to have Thanksgiving at our house with all of our family I wanted to put my own stamp on holiday favorites. This recipe came from one my favorite magazines Country Living.
Enjoy!

3 comments:
Hmmm, it sounds easy (love easy). Have you ever tried it w/out sausage? My SIL is a vegetarian and she's coming to our Christmas celebratin.
I have never made it without sausage. To make it vegetarian friendly you would have to substitute the chicken broth for maybe a mushroom broth. It is easy to make. You can even make it ahead. Just add the broth right before putting it into the over.
Oh lordy, Im drooling...
Post a Comment